Friday, March 3, 2017

Foodie Friday: Meal Planning

Sunday

Yes, I'm including Sunday this week.  It deserved to be included.

Chicken Fried Steak

So, what had happened was . . . we were at Sam's on Saturday afternoon and noticed they had round steaks on sale.

"Oh.  I want chicken fried steak."
"Babe . . . we weren't gonna until we lost weight . .  but . . . "
"You want it too?"
"Duh."

So we had chicken fried steak and all the fixins for dinner Sunday and, I swear to you, we spent the remainder of Saturday and all day Sunday thinking about that damn steak!  For the steaks, Mark seasoned them in the morning -- garlic powder and Lawry's.  When it was time to cook, he dredged them in flour, then an egg-and-milk bath, and finally in a seasoned flour and corn meal mixture.  Then the magic happened when he dropped them in the frying pan.  Delish.

We served with milk gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, and biscuits.

My mashed potato recipe is super simple.  I chop up and boil potatoes (I always used baby reds and always leave the skin on), drain, mash with chicken broth and milk.  Then I add in a stick of butter and season with salt and pepper.  So easy, so good.  The green beans were canned, I have no idea how Mark makes the gravy, and the biscuit recipe is here (we were nearly out of flour so I used half flour and half cornstarch and had to add extra shortening to get the right consistency.  Basically, I'm saying it's a miracle no one had a heart attack Sunday night.)

Monday

Leftovers . . . with a Twist!

Surprise, surprise!  We had leftovers! 

Chicken fried steak sandwiches and . . . potato cakes!  Okay, so, when I was a kid, the BEST DAY EVER was when my Granny made her potato cakes.  They were amazing.  I haven't tried to replicate them in, oh, it's been at least a decade.  They just aren't on par with what Granny made.  However, Jason's dad made them for the boys once and they LOVED them.  We had so many leftover mashed potatoes that I thought I'd give them another try.

I used a very basic recipe:

2 cups mashed potatoes
1 cup corn meal
onion (I used just enough so that the kids wouldn't notice but I would've LOVED to use an entire onion)
1 egg
Salt and pepper

Basically, you mix everything together, form into patties, then fry about six or seven minutes on each side.  They didn't taste like Granny's but they were good and the kiddos loved them.  Win!

Tuesday

Red Beans and Rice

Ahhhh . . . Mardi Gras.  If Mohammed cannot go to New Orleans, New Orleans will come to Mohammed.  This is our annual Mardi Gras meal.  My red beans and rice recipe is really simple but packs in the flavor:

You need:
1 pkg small red beans
chicken broth
green pepper, chopped
onion, chopped
Andoullie sausage
Creole seasoning (I use Zataran's)

You Do:
Chop sausage.  Sometimes I sautee the andouille with green pepper and onion before placing in the crockpot, sometimes I don't.  It just depends on my mood.  But you can take that step if you wish.  Combine all ingredients in the crockpot, using enough chicken broth (or chicken broth and water mixture) to cover about a half inch over the top of the beans.)  Cook on high for eight hours.  Serve over rice.

We had this with corn bread and, of course . . . a KING CAKE! 

Wednesday

White Girl Enchiladas

Wednesdays are a go go go in our house and I generally try to make do with crockpot meals or leftovers.  But a freezer/ fridge meal is just as good!  I made my white girl enchiladas earlier in the afternoon and popped them in the oven when we got home that night. Mostly easy, definitely delish, and you best BELIEVE a hit for all!  I doubled the recipe this time and have a feeling I'll be tripling it by the time the chirrens are teenagers.

We served with chips and salsa.  Because we've been SO super healthy this week, if ya can't tell.

Thursday
 
Grilled Pork Chops

We have a bizarre amount of pork chops in our freezer, mostly because we buy them every time we find them on sale at Sam's.  Mark was itching to grill so we pulled out a package of pork chops last night.  This will probably mean pork nachos will happen at some point this weekend!

We served with baked potatoes and salad.

Tonight is grilled burgers and who knows what the rest of the weekend holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment