Friday, April 21, 2017

Foodie Friday: Germantown Commissary

Memphis is known for it's pulled pork barbecue and you're not likely to find any resident without an opinion on the best in our city.  The Rendezvous!  Central!  One and Only!  Interstate!  You get the picture.  We're serious about our BBQ.  One restaurant that constantly comes up in the "best of" discussions is Germantown Commissary.  We finally tried it out a few weeks ago when Mark's mom was visiting.

First off, this place is tiny and parking is almost non-existent.  Be prepared to park across the street and walk.  No big deal, really, except keep in mind it sits on a road that intersects with Germantown High and if you're eating there when school gets out, don't expect to get out of the parking lot anytime soon!

We were visiting during Lent and they had a sign on the door that said they served a fried catfish platter on Fridays.  We were there for BBQ but knew we had to try that too!  In the end, we settled on the catfish platter as well as a sampler -- pulled pork, BBQ chicken, smoked sausage, and half a rack of ribs.  For sides, we had potato salad, baked beans, fries, hush puppies, and deviled eggs. 


Let's start with the meat.  The catfish was topnotch, awesome, some of the best I've ever had.  I feel there's a tiny bit of authority behind that statement. Because my entire life whenever my PawPaw had a good sell he would take us all, the whole family, to eat catfish.  I grew up on it and I know the good stuff.  This was the great stuff.  So good.  The pulled pork was good but definitely not Memphis best.  Same with the ribs.  The chicken was a little dry.  I loved the smoked sausage.  We all - Mark and I and his mom - agreed that the catfish was the best of the meat.

Now, sides are kind of my jam.  I was a little disappointed they didn't offer macaroni and cheese but they made up for it with HUSH PUPPIES.  They were super good too, as were the fries.  In fact, everything they fried was phenomenal.  The potato salad was pretty close to amazing.  The baked beans I could give or take.  But the deviled eggs.

I want to talk about the deviled eggs.

See, when I make them it's strictly mayo, mustard, egg, and a shake of paprika on top.  I know people do things differently but I like to keep them simple.  As soon as I bit into a Commissary egg, I made a face.  They put SWEET RELISH in them and it was overpowering.  Ewww.  Did not like.  Did not like at all.  The funny thing is, after we told Cady about our experience there, she revealed that she uses sweet relish in her deviled eggs.  What?!?  I love her deviled eggs and I never would've suspected!  I guess it's just the amount you use?  Who knows.  Regardless, I take back anything I might've said in the restaurant about having your southern card pulled if you put sweet relish in deviled eggs.

Finally, we finished the meal with homemade banana pudding and it was everything banana pudding is supposed to be.  Absolutely delicious.

All in all, we'll be back to Germantown Commissary.  We decided we both need to take our brothers on Mondays when they offer all you can eat ribs!

No comments:

Post a Comment