Monday, April 10, 2017

Mary Kay Andrews: The Weekenders

I find that Mary Kay Andrews novels are either enjoyable enough or so bad that I can't even get through them.  I mean, I even left one of her books in Cancun back in December because it was just so bad.  And I don't get rid of books!  Ever!  I think her writing voice is so much better when she's not trying to paint a picture of stereotypical southern debutant types and their family money.

That said, I enjoyed The Weekenders even though lead character Riley Nolan Griggs was a southern debutant type with family money.  Ha! 

The Weekenders is the story of Riley Nolan Griggs.  It begins Memorial Day weekend when Riley and her daughter set out to meet her estranged husband, Wendell, at the ferry to take them to Belle Isle, an island community off the coast of the Carolinas that was founded by Riley's family.  Wendell never shows but, over the course of the ferry ride, a processor server shows up with a summons for Riley.  She assumes it's divorce papers but, once they finally make it to their home on Belle Isle, she realizes it's a foreclosure statement.  The locks on her home have been changed, she cannot get in, and Wendell is still nowhere to be found.  The next morning, a body is found floating and it happens to be . . . you guessed it . . . Wendell.  Over the course of the book, Riley deals with learning of Wendell's financial, tries to comfort her 12-year-old daughter, rekindles an old romance, and find out who killed Wendell.

The book is . . . it's enjoyable enough.  I didn't hate it and it's a good, quick beach read.  The character of Riley was somewhat annoying, her mother even more so, but her daughter was the absolute worst.  The character is painted as a straight up brat with very little redeeming qualities.  I actually hated the love interest angle . . . mainly because I wasn't a fan of that character ever.  (And ***SPOILER*** Riley went from "straight up hate this dude" to in bed with him in a matter of zero time.  So Harlequin-y.) 

That said.  I was invested in the story.  I wanted to know what Wendell did with the money.  I wanted to know who killed him.  And, even though I found her annoying, Riley was endearing enough for me to want good things to come her way.

If you're looking for a quick and easy beach read, then put this one on your list.  It's no Elin Hilderbrand beach book but it's entertaining enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment