Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Jane Green: Another Piece of My Heart

I picked up this book at the Friends of the Library sale a few weeks ago.  Started reading it on a Friday night and stayed up late to finish it Saturday night.  I was really into it.

The story centers around Andi, a woman who always wanted a husband and family.  She didn't meet the man of her dreams, Ethan, until she was in her late 30's.  They wed and together raise his daughters Emily and Sophia.  Sophia is a dream stepchild while Emily is a straight up bitch (I can call her this; she's a teen in the book) whose goal in life is to break up Andi and Ethan.  Even at 17-years-old, she throws epic tantrums with screaming and carrying on.  The book finds us a few years into Andi and Ethan's marriage and Andi isn't sure how much more she can take of Emily.

The first part of the book is written to completely center around Andi and her point of view.  The second part, though, takes on the storylines of the other characters.  Emily's is written in first person so you get a more in depth look at the character and her brokenness.  You also get a feel for Emily's birth mother which is very well needed.

This book was very personal for me.  I'm doing the whole blended family thing and, y'all, sometimes it's just so hard.  Think about it: if you're a stepparent or a stepchild, it's because something else, another relationship, is broken.  That can be REALLY hard for a child to understand and accept. Blended families are commonplace now days but that doesn't make it any easier if you find yourself in one!

I won't go into specifics of my situation - it's not just my story to tell - but I will say that reading Another Piece of My Heart was both terrifying and filled me with gratitude that I'm not living with the level of volatile this fictional character lived with!

Honestly, I enjoyed this book because it spoke to me on a very personal level.  If you've never been a step-parent then it's probably not going to resonate as much with you.  But for me -- it hit.  And it hit hard.   It gave me things to be thankful for and things to think about, all with an enjoyable enough plotline.  What more can you ask for?

I will say that at times the story is disjoined and it almost seems like the proofreading was at a minimum.  And I didn't necessarily care for Ethan (#douche.)  Overall, though, I REALLY enjoyed this book.  I especially appreciated the way Andi and Emily's relationship was portrayed as Emily became a mature adult and it gave me so much hope, even though this was fiction. 

Definitely recommend this one even though I also understand if you can't get into it because you've never been in a "step" postion.

No comments:

Post a Comment