Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Let's Fiesta!

Last Friday night - Cinco de Mayo - we had a ninth birthday fiesta for K1!
 
It was so fun.  But also so exhausting.  And loud.  IT.WAS.SO.LOUD. 
 
I was pretty busy and didn't get a lot of pictures taken but wanted to share the few I did get.
 

We did a taco bar for our NFL fantasy draft party back last Labor Day weekend and it was such a hit that I knew we had to do it again for this party.  I made three types of taco meat: chicken, beef, and shrimp, and then we had all the fixins.  Once again, it was a huge hit.
 

We're not Mexican so I wanted to make sure I wasn't delving into any cultural appropriation when it came to decorations.  We ditched the cliché sombreros and mustaches and went with bright colors, papel picado, and cacti.  I thought everything turned out super cute and got a lot of compliments on the décor.


With so many eight/ nine/ ten year old boys I wanted everyone to eat outside!  We set up two tables and each had a bowl of chips and then salsa in plastic margarita glasses.


Party favors were little margarita glasses filled with candy.  They were so cute!

Now, pictures from the actual party!

We had planned to swim.  The invites included instructions to bring a suit and towel.  But we had a cold front blow through and it was just too cold to get in the pool (65 degrees outside with a pool temp of 69.)  I wasn't in the mood for giving any children pneumonia so we didn't swim.  There was some disappointment but I think we're going to have an end-of-the-school-year swim party/ luau to make up the swimming time.


With swimming off the table, the boys PLAYED.  Football, basketball, football again, more basketball.  Oh!  And K1's birthday present from us was a foosball table.  Which was a huge hit . . . with the over 18 crowd.  ;)
 


K1 requested a chocolate and strawberry cake -- which he got.  Two layers of chocolate, one of strawberry.  I made homemade strawberry frosting which is why the cake is pink.  I thought he would freak out or a kid or two would make fun of the pink cake but . . . I worried too much.  He loved it and the cake was delish.
 
Finally . . . you can't have a fiesta without a piñata!
 

K1 knocked it down and then the poor thing didn't stand a chance . . . they literally tore it apart to get to the candy inside!
 

He called it the best party he's ever had and I have to say it's one of the best we've thrown!  We had so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment