Tuesday, June 6, 2017

I Like Big Books and I Cannot Lie.

And by "big books" I, of course, mean light and fluffy beach reads!
 
Today I thought I'd share my summer reading plans and also how I go about finding and buying books.
 
A few years ago, I got an iPad and was totally turned on to reading digitally.  It's still something I do for the gym (much easier to prop an iPad on the treadmill than an actual book) but I also just love me a good, old-fashioned paperback.  Plus, most of my reading is done by the pool and I'm not taking an iPad out there!  So actual books it is.  And since I'm big on re-reading, I usually buy my own copies.  If I read something and know I won't ever read it again, I donate it to Goodwill.
 
I have a few different ways I find and buy books.  First up, Goodwill!  I've found so many great titles at Goodwill.  The one closest to me has hardcover for $3.99 and paperback for $2.99 or less.  The Goodwill that's a little further away has titles even cheaper.  I also go to my local Habitat for Humanity Restore.  All their paperbacks are 50 cents and if you buy five, you get the sixth free.  I love to hit up Friends of the Library Sales on their last day or two where you can fill a box for a certain amount of money.  The clearance section at Barnes and Noble can have some awesome selections, usually for around $6 or less.  I just love Amazon and look for deals there.  I recently tried thirftbooks.com and was able to order three books for less than $12 - and with free shipping.  I'll update on that service once I actually receive the books.
 
Also, if you're on Goodreads, they will send you a list of deals of the day -- digital copies of books in genres of your interest that have been discounted.  I was able to read Two by Two by Nicholas Sparks for $1.99 thanks to an alert from Goodreads!
 
Now, summer reading for 2017 . . .
 
I plan on re-reading all this Elin Hilderbrand goodness!  Yes, I already know I love these books but that's okay.  We're going to the beach in a couple weeks and I know these are going with me.
 
 
Nantucket Nights (my first ever Hilderbrand book!)
The Matchmaker
The Island
The Beach Club
Summer People
 
*High Tide is a compilation of the last two novels.  I found it on Amazon for just $6.  For two books!
 
Then I have some that aren't re-reads.
 
 
Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah
The Beach Quilt by Holly Chamberlin
The Secrets of Midwives by Sally Hepworth
The Best of Us by Sarah Pekkanen (check, already read!)
The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware (again, already read!)


Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger
First Comes Love by Emily Giffin (I know, I know, I KNOW.  I always end up a little rage-y with Giffin's books but it was a Goodwill find.)
Save the Date by Mary Kay Andrews
Second Chance by Jane Green

I have a few more re-reads that I'll get to if I have time.


Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close
Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner
Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin (I know I've read this book before but literally remember nothing about it other than the main character is the sister of a main character in Something Borrowed and Something Blue)
Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
The Help by Kathryn Stockett

And I have a few others in Amazon cart (just waiting for a couple of them to come out in paperback!)

Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty
Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Then there are the three I ordered from thriftbooks

The Girls by Emma Cline
Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll
Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

It's quite the list . . . especially considering I'm also doing a summer class that's a lot of reading.  So it may end up being a "summer . . . and fall and winter . . . reading list!"

No comments:

Post a Comment