Friday, July 14, 2017

Foodie Friday: PULLED PORK

Every few months, Mark fires up the smoker and we throw all kinds of meat on there.  Brisket, ham, salmon, chicken, and, our very favorite, pork shoulder.  I used to have a go-to crockpot pork recipe but no longer need it thanks to shackin' up with the Smoke King of Memphis.  His smoked pork is simply the best and it's really versatile. 

Every time we smoke, we freeze about 95% of the meat (exception, of course, being any shrimp or fish.)  A while back, we pulled out a frozen pork shoulder to provide our meals for most of the week.  I thought I'd share what we like to do with alllll the pulled pork.

First up - defrosting the frozen meat - we stick it in the crockpot with about a cup of water and let it defrost on high most of the day.  Now, my old pulled pork recipe involved using either Dr. Pepper or Root Beer to cook the meat in but just plain water helps preserve the smoked flavor.  It also physically hurts to use the crockpot on high but it's a necessity when wanting to eat it the same day.

Now, what do we do with it?

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

So easy, so good.  Sometimes we eat the pork on plain old hamburger buns but we also love to get Hawaiian rolls and do sliders.  Cole slaw is a must when it comes to serving pulled pork sandwiches.  I love to smother my sammie in barbecue sauce and slaw.  And I also love me some slaw on the side!  Our go-to sides are the slaw (of course!), potato salad, sweet potato fries, roasted zukes, mac and cheese, or salad.

Pulled Pork Quesadillas

We LOVE quesadillas up in here [up in here] and this is my personal favorite thing to make with pulled pork.  I load half a tortilla with the meat, barbecue sauce, cheese, and a couple of jalapeno slices then cook them on the stove until the tortillas are jusssss right and browned.  The kids LOVE adding various things to make their quesadillas POP . . . bacon, salsa, various different cheeses, even ranch dressing (on pork?  Yuck!)  Sides are generally chips and salsa, black beans, or a black bean salad.

Pulled Pork Nachos

Ahhhhh.  We're very serious about our nachos in this house.  Once upon a time, Mark and I even dreamed of a food truck/ restaurant called Nacho Mama's.  Nachos are a GREAT way to get rid of leftovers and we've made allllll kinds of 'em.  I had never even heard of barbecue nachos before moving to Memphis but they're now one of my favorite ways to use pulled pork.  We normally layer tortilla chips on a baking sheet, top with shredded cheese, then pulled pork, allllll the barbecue sauce, onion and peppers (for the adults - kids are picky!), more cheese, then repeat the layers.  We top it off with more barbecue sauce and jalapenos and bake at 400 until the cheese is melted.  SO GOOD.

Pulled Pork Enchiladas

For whatever reason, warm weather makes me want to make my white girl enchiladas.  I mentioned this to Mark one night and he said, "well, instead of using chicken, why not use up the rest of the pork?"  No way was I going to mix pork with the sour cream and cream of chicken I use for the white girl enchiladas.  Instead, I simmered the pulled pork with green chili and cheese.  I put the mixture into tortillas, rolled, and then placed each enchilada into a baking dish.  They were smothered with the leftover pulled pork mixture and more cheese, covered in foil, then baked at 400 for about 20 minutes.  These were SO GOOD!  Mark and I loved them.  And, really, you can't go wrong with green chili!

No comments:

Post a Comment