Thursday, August 3, 2017

The Limit.

I told myself back in May that I was really going to enjoy this summer with my kids.  There's a good chance I'll be working next summer and, let's face it, they're getting to the ages where social lives and friends will take up a good chunk of their summer. 

For the most part, I have really enjoyed this time we've had together.

However, it happened last Thursday.  My limit. I hit it.

My boys were fighting endlessly.  We had a mini-sleepover last Monday night and two children in the house proceeded to use that time to break every single rule we have.  I'm tired of tattling.  I'm sick of "it wasn't me!"  I'm over their feeling entitled and being spoiled and I'm tired of telling them, "y'all need to go back to 1989 to see what summer were like when I was a kid!"

I can now officially say that I'm so ready for Monday to be here, for school to start.  There's a good chance I'll just dump 'em at the curb of the school with a "see ya suckers!" as I peel off with tires screeching. 

Okay, not really.  (But not because I don't want to!!)

The thing is, I know they're just kids and kids in general don't appreciate their childhoods until they're grown and raising their own children.  It was just a few short weeks ago that my cousin was in town and we reminisced about a childhood spent on "the hill," jumping on hay bales, collecting eggs for my grandpa, feeding the fish, and picnic lunches on the storm cellar.  If you went back to the late 1980's and early 90's, though, and talked to that Brandi, she would've told you that she couldn't wait to not live on the farm.  She wanted a neighborhood and pavement to ride her bike on.  She wanted neighbors who weren't related to her and actual street lights.  So I get it.  One of these days, the kids will hopefully look back on their childhood summers with a fondness.  Right now, though, I really struggle with feeling unappreciated.  And, believe me, it's not something I want to feel.  I don't want to be this person who feels ugly thoughts because I'm schlepping them to the zoo or Mud Island or downtown or inviting friends over rather than just letting them watch TV or play xbox all day. 

I've said for the past couple years that I feel like I'm the sweet spot of parenting.  No more babies.  No more diaper changes, no potty training, no wondering why the heck they won't stop crying.  No toddlers to get into ANY an EVERYthing in the house (though, let's be real, older children are great at that too.)  We're not quite yet to the teenage years either.  So while the attitudes can be funky and sometimes I think we have way too much testosterone and there are times when I wanna smack a kid for rolling their eyes . . . I know it's not as bad as it's going to be. 

But these days aren't easy.  They're easier than they were and they're easier than they're going to be.  All that while being far, far, far from easy.  And, yes, I do need some cheese to go with my w(h)iiiiiine.  ;)

If you're a fellow mom who has reached her limit: I'm right there with ya, sister, I stand in solidarity.  And I raise my spiked drink and remind you that the end is near.  School will start soon and, before we know it, it'll be next May and we'll be counting down the days until it's just over.

If you're a mom of a precious little baby and you can't ever imagine feeling this way: buckle up, girlfriend.  Buckle up!

The Limit.  We all have it! 

P.S. My reward for surviving the last eleven days of summer break? I have THREE WEEKS - three blissful weeks! - where the children will be in school and I will not.  If you need me, I'll be in the pool.  Cocktail in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment